Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home > Maryland > Bethesda > Wilson Estate, The Lodge, 9100 Rockville Pike, Bethesda, Montgomery County, MD



See 27 maps of this location


B&W Photos
BWPhotos 380001
HB622253
BWPhotos 380001
BWPhotos 380002
HB622254
BWPhotos 380002
BWPhotos 380003
HB622255
BWPhotos 380003
BWPhotos 380004
HB622256
BWPhotos 380004
BWPhotos 380005
HB622257
BWPhotos 380005
BWPhotos 380006
HB622258
BWPhotos 380006
BWPhotos 380007
HB622259
BWPhotos 380007
BWPhotos 380008
HB622260
BWPhotos 380008
BWPhotos 380009
HB622261
BWPhotos 380009
BWPhotos 380010
HB622262
BWPhotos 380010


Item Title
BWPhotos 380010

Location
9100 Rockville Pike, Bethesda, MD

Find maps of Bethesda, MD


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS MD-1105-B
Building/structure dates: 1920 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1960 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1923 initial construction
Significance: The Lodge was one of the principal buildings comprising the original Wilson estate. Following the donation of Tree Tops to NIH in 1942, the Lodge served as the primary residence for two generations of the Wilson family. Attributed to architect Edward Clarence Dean, it was constructed utilizing a portion of a pre-existing farmhouse on the site that dated from the nineteenth century. Its architectural detailing closely resembles Tree Tops, suggesting that it was designed as part of an ensemble. In the 1960s, the Lodge was expanded substantially with two additions to accommodate Luke W. Wilson, the son, and his family, after the death of his mother Helen in 1960. The house remained in the Wilson family until 1993, at which time it was sold to NIH. The Lodge is significant as one of the key buildings of the original estate designed by architect Clarence Dean, and also as the primary residence of the Wilson family - the donors responsible for the establishment of NIH in its suburban Bethesday campus.

Subjects
Building Deterioration
Brick Buildings
Houses


Related Names
Dean, Edward Clarence
Wilson, Luke
Wilson, Helen
National Institutes Of Health
Jamison Company
Smalling, Walter, Photographer
Williams, Paul K., Historian
Ewing, Heather P., Historian


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents


Back to Bethesda, Maryland