Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming


Home

>

Maryland

>

Bethesda

>

Wilson Estate, 9100 Rockville Pike, Bethesda, Montgomery County, MD



B&W Photos

HB622113

HB622114

HB622115

HB622116

HB622117

HB622118

HB622119

HB622120

HB622121

HB622122

HB622123


Item Title
BWPhotos 379983

Location
9100 Rockville Pike, Bethesda, MD

Find maps of Bethesda, MD


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS MD-1105
Building/structure dates: 1920 initial construction
Significance: The Wilson Estate derives historical significance from the role played by the Wilson family in attracting the National Institutes of Health (NIH) to Bethesda through their initial donation of land, and from the continuing growth of NIH into its suburban campus setting. Luke and Helen Wilson's donations of land to the federal government enabled the National Institute of Health, which had been crowded into buildings at 25th and E Streets, N.W., the opportunity to expand. As the scope of the institution's mission grew, so too did the physical plant; work at NIH soon covered the entire spectrum of research on human disease and encompassed several distinct institutes. This rapid and orchestrated growth dramatically changed the face of Bethesda. Today NIH is the most dominant institutional presence in Montgomery County. The Wilson's gift of land to the federal government augured this physical transformation of the local community. On a national level, the bequest enabled the growth of the institution into one of the world's preeminent medical research facilities. This collection of buildings within its landscape is also significant as one of the architecturally distinguished Rockville Pike estates of the early twentieth century, representing an important phase in the development of Montgomery County. The Wilson Estate, or Tree Tops, as it was known, was part of a corridor of large, early twentieth-century country estates built by wealthy Washingtonians along Rockville Pike. The Wilson Estate evolved at the height of an era of great country houses in Montgomery County. The Wilson Estate was distinct from many of these other country houses, however, in its rustic English style; most of the grand houses along the Pike reflected the colonial history of the country and were designed in a corresponding Georgian Revival style, such as the neighboring George Freeland Peter Estate (Building 16 on the NIH campus).

Subjects
Medicine
Estates
Domestic Life


Related Names
Wilson, Luke
Wilson, Helen
National Institutes Of Health
Dean, Edward Clarence
Heaton, Arthur B.
Smalling, Walter, Photographer
Williams, Paul K., Historian
Ewing, Heather P., Historian


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents


Back to Bethesda, Maryland