Wiessner Brewery, 1700 North Gay Street, Baltimore, Independent City, MD
See 51 maps of this location
Photo Caption Pages
1700 North Gay Street, Baltimore, MD
Find maps of Baltimore, MD
Documentation compiled after 1968.
Survey number HAER MD-25
Significance: Built by brewmaster John Frederick Wiessner (1831-1897) to replace his older, smaller brewery of 1863 on the same site. The flamboyant brewhouse, the complex's overwhelmingly distinctive feature and a NE Baltimore landmark, is one of the finest surviving American examples of the Teutonic Brewery style, fondly referred to locally as "Germanic Pagoda." It has stained glass windows, three incredible towers, and an altogether commanding silhouette. Despite its distinction, however, no records have been found identifying the architect.
American Malt Company
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)
1. FRONT ANGLE PORTRAIT
2. INTERIOR: DETAIL OF MACHINERY
3. INTERIOR VIEW SHOWING UNIDENTIFIED BIG-WHEELED MACHINE
4. INTERIOR VIEW (SAME AS MD-25-2, BUT LESS DETAIL)
5. AERIAL VIEW OF BREWERY, 1974
6. DETAIL OF THE BOILERS--NOTE THE ORNATE COVERS
7. VIEW OF THE BOILER EXTERIORS
8. DETAIL OF THE FILTER AND GENERATOR
9. DETAIL OF AIR COMPRESSORS (HASSELBERG, MANUFACTURER)
10. DETAIL OF INTERIOR MACHINERY
11. DETAIL OF GOVERNOR
12. ANGLED VIEW FROM NORTH--LEVEL Copy photograph of photogrammetric plate LC-HAER-GS05-B-1971-101L.
13. ANGLED VIEW PROM NORTH--INCLINED Copy photograph of photogrammetric plate LC-HAER-GS05-B-1971-102L.
14. NW (FRONT) FACADE, EAST END--LEVEL Copy photograph of photogrammetric plate LC-HAER-GS05-B-1971-103L.
15. NW (FRONT) FACADE, EAST END--INCLINED Copy photograph of photogrammetric plate LC-HAER-GS05-B-1971-104L.
16. NW (FRONT) FACADE, WEST END--LEVEL Copy photograph of photogrammetric plate LC-HAER-GS05-B-1971-105L.
17. NW (FRONT) FACADE, WEST END--INCLINED Copy photograph of photogrammetric plate LC-HAER-GS05-B-1971-106L.
18. FRONT VIEW--ANGLED Copy photograph of photogrammetric plate LC-HAER-PS13-2000-801.
19. FRONT AND SIDE ELEVATIONS--ANGLED VIEW Copy photograph of photogrammetric plate LC-HAER-PS13-2000-802.
20. FRONT ENTRANCE Copy photograph of photogrammetric plate LC-HAER-PS13-2000-803.
Back to Baltimore, Maryland