Watchman Fire Company Firehouse, Montgomery Street, Baltimore, Independent City, MD
See 48 maps of this location
Montgomery Street, Baltimore, MD
Find maps of Baltimore, MD
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS MD-851
Significance: A rare surviving Baltimore volunteer house. // Brick painted buff with brown trim. 3 stories, 3 bays, rectangular. Center bay doorway for engines which projects out from the side bays; large double hung second floor windows; a molded cornice which forms a triangular pediment on the projecting central bay. Instituted in 1840, the company was first quartered in a stable on York Street near Watchman and Butt's foundry. The company's second home was built in 1843 on the west side of Light Street by Elijah Watson.
Waite, John, Historian
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
Back to Baltimore, Maryland