Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home

>

Maryland

>

Baltimore

>

North Central Railroad, Baltimore Freight House, Guilford & Centre Streets, Baltimore, Independent City, MD



See 28 maps of this location


B&W Photos

HB593551
South End Of Calvert Station

HB593552
View North Along Hunter St., Showing Additions To The Freight Shed Made In 1946.

HB593553
General View Of 1946 Additions

HB593554
Looking South Along Hunter Street From Monument St

HB593555
Looking South On Guilford St

HB593556
Interior View Looking Toward South End Of Freight Shed

HB593557
View Of Tricomposite Roof Structure


Data Pages


Photo Caption Pages


Item Title


Location
Guilford & Centre Streets, Baltimore, MD

Find maps of Baltimore, MD


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1968.

Notes
Survey number HAER MD-38
Significance: The Baltimore Freight Shed, built by the Northern Central Railroad, is a rare example of composite timber and iron roof construction of the mid 19th century. The roof structure is comprised of a series of tricomposite trusses with timber top chords, wrought iron tension rods and cast iron compression members. This use of both timber and iron in the same roofing system formed a transition period between short span timber trusses and longer span iron and steel trusses that would be in widespread use by the end of the century.

Subjects
Transportation Industry
Brick Buildings
Transportation Facilities


Related Names
Williams, J. H.


Collection
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
1. SOUTH END OF CALVERT STATION. FREIGHT HOUSE IS GABLED STRUCTURE ON RIGHT. FIRST FLOOR FACADE ADDED IN 1946 WHEN THE PASSENGER TERMINAL SOUTH OF CENTRE STREET WAS DEMOLISHED AND ALL IT ACTIVITIES WERE TRANSFERRED TO THE FREIGHT SHED.
2. VIEW NORTH ALONG HUNTER ST., SHOWING ADDITIONS TO THE FREIGHT SHED MADE IN 1946.
3. GENERAL VIEW OF 1946 ADDITIONS. WHEN THE FREIGHT SHED WAS CONVERTED TO PASSENGER USE THESE STRUCTURES WERE BUILT TO MOVE FREIGHT FROM THE SHED TO TRUCKS PARKED AT THESE LOADING DOCKS.
4. LOOKING SOUTH ALONG HUNTER STREET FROM MONUMENT ST. C. 1860 FREIGHT SHED IS GABLED STRUCTURE ON LEFT. SHED'S ENTRANCE HAS BEEN WIDENED BY REMOVING THE ARCH OPENING ON THE EAST END AND EXTENDING THE CENTRAL BAY.
5. LOOKING SOUTH ON GUILFORD ST. SHOWING THE EAST SIDE OF THE C. 1860 FREIGHT SHED.
6. INTERIOR VIEW LOOKING TOWARD SOUTH END OF FREIGHT SHED. STRUCTURES VISIBLE AT END OF PLATFORM ARE PART OF 1946 ALTERATION TO ACCOMADATE PASSENGER TRAFFIC. ARCHWAYS ON RIGHT LEAD TO LOADING DOCKS ALSO BUILT IN 1946.
7. VIEW OF TRICOMPOSITE ROOF STRUCTURE. TOP CHORDS ARE TIMBER. TENSION RODS (THIN METAL RODS EXTENDING DIAGONALLY FROM THE HORIZONTAL TIMBER BRACE) ARE WROUGHT IRON. SOLID CRUCIFORM SHAPED COMPRESSION MEMBERS EXTENDING DOWNWARD FROM THE TIMBER TOP CHORD ARE MADE OF CAST IRON


Back to Baltimore, Maryland