Battle Monument, Calvert Street, Baltimore, Independent City, MD
See 34 maps of this location
Calvert Street, Baltimore, MD
Find maps of Baltimore, MD
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS MD-185
Building/structure dates: 1815
See also HABS No. MD-1126
Significance: The Battle Monument, begun in September 12, 1815, and completed in 1825, is the first significant war memorial ever built in the United States. It was designed by Maximilian Godefroy, who also designed the St. Mary's Seminary Chapel (1806), the Unitarian Church (1819), among other buildings in Baltimore. The use of Egyptian and Classical elements in the design is unusual. The sculptured figure on the top of the monument, the griffins, and the two sculptured reliefs on the shaft are by Antonio Capellano, and are among the oldest existing monumental sculptures in the nation. This monument is also the official emblem of the City of Baltimore, having been adopted for the city seal in 1827. It commemorates those who died in defending the city from the British attack, September 12 to 14, 1814, the same attack which was the occasion for the writing of the National Anthem.
War (War Of 1812)
Monuments & Memorials
Miyamoto, Lanny, Photographer
Hunter, Wilbur Harvey, Historian
Ranney, F. Garner, Historian
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
1. Historic American Buildings Survey Lanny Miyamoto, Photographer October 1958 VIEW LOOKING NORTHWEST
2. Historic American Buildings Survey Lanny Miyamoto, Photographer October 1958 VIEW LOOKING SOUTHEAST
3. Historic American Buildings Survey Lanny Miyamoto, Photographer October 1958 UPPER PORTION, SOUTH SIDE
4. Historic American Buildings Survey Lanny Miyamoto, Photographer October 1958 UPPER PORTION, NORTH SIDE
5. Historic American Buildings Survey ENGRAVING 'MAX. GODEFROY ESQ. PA & C. INVENIT & DELIN. 1815. ENGRAVED BY B. TANNER.'
Back to Baltimore, Maryland