Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming


Home

>

Maryland

>

Baltimore

>

Baltimore Inner Harbor, Pier 4, South side of Pratt Street between Frederick Stree, Baltimore, Independent City, MD



B&W Photos

HB626372

HB626373

HB626374

HB626375

HB626376

HB626377

HB626378


Data Pages


Photo Caption Pages


Item Title


Location
South side of Pratt Street between Frederick Stree, Baltimore, MD

Find maps of Baltimore, MD


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1968.

Notes
Survey number HAER MD-86-C
Building/structure dates: 1908 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1989 subsequent work
Significance: Designed by Oscar F. Lackey and constructed in 1908-1910, the bulkheads on Piers 4, 5, and 6 in the Baltimore Inner Harbor were among the first reinforced concrete structures erected in seawater in the United States. These and other early concrete piers in the U.S. pioneered the acceptance of reinforced concrete in American harbors. The solid piers, consisting of filled reinforced concrete bulkheads, played a significant role in the evolution from timber pile to reinforced concrete for seawater construction.

Subjects
Piers (marine Landings)


Related Names
Lackey, Oscar F.
Baltimore Harbor Board
City Of Baltimore
Chart House Restaurant
Hoachlander, Anice, Photographer
Hoachlander, Anice, Photographer
Bird, Betty, Historian


Collection
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)

Contents


Back to Baltimore, Maryland