Baltimore & Ohio Railroad, Mount Royal Trainshed, 1400 Cathedral Street, Baltimore, Independent City, MD
See 48 maps of this location
Photo Caption Pages
1400 Cathedral Street, Baltimore, MD
Find maps of Baltimore, MD
Documentation compiled after 1968.
Survey number HAER MD-29
National Register Number: 73002191
Significance: When it opened in 1896, the Mount Royal Station and Trainshed was one of the best examples of the harmonious blending of engineering and aesthetic values in an urban environment. Sited at the north end of the Howard Street Tunnel, entirely within the open cut between it and the Mount Royal Station, it was both unobtrusive and convenient. The shelter provided by this below-grade site, combined with the trainshed, made the Mount Royal Depot a hospitable embarkation point in foul weather. The city of Baltimore used the depot as its official welcoming point to greet distinguished visitors, including several Presidents, British Prime Minister Ramsay MacDonald, Cardinal Gibbons, and Queen Marie of Romania. The trainshed which was partly responsible for the generally commodious environment was one of the last gable roof trainsheds built in America. Like the station, it was of a smaller, less monumental scale than the large balloon sheds which were becoming fashionable at the time. It was a monument, however, in providing a sense of intimacy in an otherwise overwhelming urban environment.
Baldwin & Pennington
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)
1. VIEW OF TRAINSHED AND STATION LOOKING NORTHEAST.
2. INTERIOR VIEW LOOKING UP INTO MONITOR.
3. PHOTOCOPY OF SOUTH END OF TRAINSHED (Courtesy of the Smithsonian Institution). (HAER 4'x 5' copy negative)
4. EAST SIDE OF STATION AND TRAINSHED--LEVEL Copy photograph of photogrammetric plate LC-HAER-GS05-1-301R.
5. EAST SIDE OF STATION AND TRAINSHED--INCLINED AND CONVERGENT Copy photograph of photogrammetric plate LC-HAER-GS05-1-302L.
6. TRAINSHED AND STAIRWAY, VIEW FROM SE Copy photograph of photogrammetric plate LC-HAER-GS05-1-303L.
7. LOOKING SOUTH UNDER EAST OVERHANG OF TRAINSHED--LEVEL Copy photograph of photogrammetric plate LC-HAER-GS05-1-304L.
Back to Baltimore, Maryland