Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming


Home

>

Maryland

>

Baltimore

>

Baltimore & Ohio Railroad, Carrollton Viaduct, Spanning Gwynn's Falls near Carroll Park, Baltimore, Independent City, MD



B&W Photos

HB597740

HB597741

HB597742

HB597743

HB597744


Data Pages


Photo Caption Pages


Item Title


Location
Spanning Gwynn's Falls near Carroll Park, Baltimore, MD

Find maps of Baltimore, MD


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1968.

Notes
Survey number HAER MD-9
National Register Number: 71001032
Significance: Located over Gwynn's Falls near Baltimore, Maryland, the Carrollton Viaduct is the first American stone masonry bridge built for railroad use. It was named after Charles Carroll, the last living signer of the Declaration of Independence, who laid the cornerstone in May 1828. Builder Caspar Weaver and designer James Lloyd completed the structure for the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad in November 1829, at the cost of $58,106.73.

Subjects
Transportation Industry
Civil Engineering
Railroad Bridges


Collection
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
1. AERIAL VIEW OF VIADUCT LOOKING NORTHWEST.
2. VIEW OF WEST SIDE OF VIADUCT.
3. VIEW OF EAST SIDE OF VIADUCT WITH DIESEL LOCOMOTIVE CROSSING.
4. AERIAL VIEW OF VIADUCT LOOKING SOUTHEAST.
5. SHARPLY SKEWED VIEW OF WEST SIDE OF VIADUCT FROM BANK, LOOKING SOUTH.


Back to Baltimore, Maryland