Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home

>

Maryland

>

Baltimore

>

Baltimore & Ohio Railroad Company Headquarters Building, 2 North Charles Street, Baltimore, Independent City, MD



See 48 maps of this location


B&W Photos

HB625837
BWPhotos 210745

HB625838
BWPhotos 210746

HB625839
BWPhotos 210747

HB625840
BWPhotos 210748

HB625841
BWPhotos 210749

HB625842
BWPhotos 210750

HB625843
BWPhotos 210751

HB625844
BWPhotos 210752

HB625845
BWPhotos 210753

HB625846
BWPhotos 210754

HB625847
BWPhotos 210755

HB625848
BWPhotos 210756

HB625849
BWPhotos 210757

HB625850
BWPhotos 210758

HB625851
BWPhotos 210759


Item Title
BWPhotos 210759

Location
2 North Charles Street, Baltimore, MD

Find maps of Baltimore, MD


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS MD-1122
Building/structure dates: 1905 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1983 subsequent work
Significance: Historically, this structure was the headquarters of the Baltimore and Ohio (B&O) Railroad. The B&O was significant not only as America's first railroad (founded 1827) but also as the pre-eminent driving force behind Baltimore's importance as a commercial center in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. Architecturally, the 1905-6 building's thirteen-story height was a local novelty at the time, and its well-publicized "fireproof" construction was clearly a material reaction to the 1904 Great Fire that destroyed the company's previous headquarters building, two blocks to the east of the present site. The Beaux-Arts design by architects Parker and Thomas of Boston and Baltimore, exemplifies the style which defined the city's rebuilt commercial center, and the building is also the only known Baltimore work of associated architect James Gamble Rogers, who later established a reputation as a premier "image maker" architect for America's corporate elite and for Yale University.

Subjects
Fires
Office Buildings
Railroad Companies


Related Names
Parker & Thomas
Parker, J. Harleston
Thomas, Douglas H.
Murray, Oscar
Hale & Rogers
Hale, Herbert Dudley
Rosenthal, James W., Photographer
Ossman, J. Laurie, Historian


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents


Back to Baltimore, Maryland