Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming


Home

>

Maryland

>

Baltimore vicinity

>

Matthews Bridge, Spanning Loch Raven Reservoir on Dulaney Valley Ro, Baltimore, Baltimore County, MD



B&W Photos

HB603602

HB603603

HB603604

HB603605

HB603606

HB603607

HB603608

HB603609

HB603610

HB603611

HB603612


Data Pages


Photo Caption Pages


Item Title


Location
Spanning Loch Raven Reservoir on Dulaney Valley Ro, Baltimore vicinity, MD

Find maps of Baltimore, MD


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1968.

Notes
Survey number HAER MD-68
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (FN-23).
Building/structure dates: 1914 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1978 demolished
Significance: In 1908 the General Assembly empowered the city of Baltimore to establish a reservoir in the valley of the Gunpowder River in Baltimore County. On May 1, 1913, an agreement was entered into between the Mayor and City Council of Baltimore and the County Commissioners of Baltimore County, sitting as the Highway Commission of Baltimore County. According to this agreement, creation of the reservoir would necessitate removing the Meredith Ford Bridge and part of what is now known as the Dulaney Valley Road. The city agreed to construct and maintain a new bridge in place of the Meredith Ford Bridge. Originally known as the Mann's Hill Bridge, it was called the Matthews Bridge at the time of its demolition and served as the crossing for Maryland Route 146 over Loch Raven Reservoir. The State Highway Administration maintained jurisdiction of the bridge' approach roadways. Originally the bridge was designed to carry a fifteen ton load, less than half of the legal limit in Maryland at the time of the bridge's demolition. During the 1950's, the posted limitations were reduced to twelve tons, and by the 1970s had been further reduced to a seven ton limit.

Subjects
Transportation Industry
Truss Bridges
Transportation Facilities


Related Names
Griener, J. E.
McClintic-Marshall Company


Collection
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
1. View looking northwest
2. View of north side of bridge and west portal
3. View showing west portal looking to east
4. Detail of west portal
5. Detail of west portal after beginning of demolition
6. Detail of structure looking to east
7. Detail of structure looking south
8. Detail of structure looking south
9. Detail view of pier and towers looking to southwest
10. View of middle arch looking to southwest
11. View of south side of bridge and east portal


Back to Baltimore vicinity, Maryland