St. Paul's Church, Northwest side Baden-Naylor Road, intersection wit, Baden, Prince George's County, MD
See 49 maps of this location
Photo Caption Pages
intersection wit, Baden, MD
Find maps of Baden, MD
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS MD-110
Building/structure dates: 1733 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1769 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1793 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1857 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1882 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1921 subsequent work
Significance: St. Paul's at Baden is the oldest church in Prince George's County, and one of only six churches extant from the colonial period. In May of 1692, the Governor's Council and the Maryland Assembly -- acting on orders from King William and Queen Mary -- established thirty Maryland parishes of the Church of England. St. Paul's was one of two parishes then formed in Prince George's County. The present church structure was built in 1733-35 (with later additions forming a cruciform plan) to replace an older parish church in Charles Town, the original county seat. At one time, St. Paul's was the richest parish in the state.
Rothrock, Gail, Field Team
Pearl, Susan G., Field Team
Boucher, Jack, Photographer
Brostrup, John O., Photographer
Smith, Delos H., Photographer
Lavoie, Catherine C., Historian
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
7. Historic American Buildings Survey John O. Brostrup, Photographer July 23, 1936 2:30 P. M. VIEW FROM SOUTHWEST.
8. Historic American Buildings Survey Delos H. Smith, Photographer 1936
11. Historic American Buildings Survey John O. Brostrup, Photographer July 23, 1936 2:20 P. M. DETAIL OF SUNDIAL AND ENTRANCE.
12. Historic American Buildings Survey John O. Brostrup, Photographer July 23, 1936 2:35 P. M. DETAIL OF BRICKWORK - EAST WING
14. SOUTH FRONT ELEVATION, WITHOUT SCALE
15. SOUTH FRONT ELEVATION, WITH SCALE
16. DETAIL VIEW, EAST SIDE OF SOUTH (FRONT) END (NOTE DOOR, WINDOW, AND ROSE WINDOW)
17. GENERAL VIEW PERSPECTIVE, FROM SOUTHWEST
19. PALLADIAN WINDOW ON WEST ELEVATION
20. WEST TRANSEPT, SOUTH SIDE (NOTE HOODED CHIMNEY)
Back to Baden, Maryland