St. John's College, Chase-Stone House, 235 King George Street, Annapolis, Anne Arundel County, MD
See 27 maps of this location
235 King George Street, Annapolis, MD
Find maps of Annapolis, MD
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS MD-236
Building/structure dates: 1856
Building/structure dates: 1929 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1937 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1963 subsequent work
Significance: Named for Samuel Chase and Thomas Stone who were members of the college's original Board of Governors, the house was built as a duplex home for the President and Vice-President of the college. It served as such until 1929 when it became a Greek Fraternity house. With the instigation of St. John's College "great books" program in 1937, fraternities were abolished and the house became a men's dormitory.
Starkweather, Nathan G.
Burch, James Wood
Spragle & Caulk
Dunbar, Florence, Historian
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
Back to Annapolis, Maryland