Market House, Market Space, Main & Dock Streets, Annapolis, Anne Arundel County, MD
Main & Dock Streets, Annapolis, MD
Find maps of Annapolis, MD
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS MD-234
Building/structure dates: 1857
Significance: The Annapolis Market House was constructed in 1857-1858 under the superintendence of a committee appointed by City Council. The existing one story building, 2nd market to be erected on this site, set aside for this use in 1784, was originally a hipped-roofed structure supported by four rows of cast iron columns. The hipped section at the northern end has been removed and tile block/stucco walls with steel pivoted windows added, closing in the open sides and eliminating the four foot roof overhang. The skylighted roof structure is also later. The original brick scale houses still stand, with minor changes, and all but four of the original columns remain in place.
Wright, Russell, Delineator
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
Back to Annapolis, Maryland