City Ballroom or Assembly Room(s), 150 Duke of Gloucester Street, Annapolis, Anne Arundel County, MD
Photo Caption Pages
150 Duke of Gloucester Street, Annapolis, MD
Find maps of Annapolis, MD
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS MD-41
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (FN-52).
Building/structure dates: 1767 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1867 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1974 subsequent work
Photos are 35mm enlargements.
Significance: The present Municipal Building incorporates most of the original City Ballroom/Assembly Room and the attached Revenue Office) all c. 1767) in its building envelope, and occupies the site of the mid 18th Century Market House. The Ballroom was used as a legislative hall during the construction of the Maryland State House (1172) and traditionally is the "building in which Gen. Washington was entertained at dinner by the Congress of the United States on the 20th December, 1783." After the close of the Civil War and the alterations and additions detailed below were completed, separate rooms were set aside for the exclusive use of the city, while the Ballroom was still used for various public functions - dances, lectures, concerts and exhibitions. Architecturally, the 1974 restoration of the front facade has returned the structure to its 1867 appearance. Italianate in design, the Municipal Building, especially the northwest section, is one of the more important examples of its period and style in the Annapolis National Landmark Historic District.
Davis, Francis E.
Wells & Gardiner
Independent Fire Company No. 2
Schwarz, John, Photographer
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
1. WEST (MAIN) ELEVATION,LOOKING NORTH
2. WEST (MAIN) ELEVATION,LOOKING SOUTH
3. WEST (MAIN) ELEVATION,NORTH BUILDING
4. WEST (MAIN) ELEVATION, SOUTH BUILDING
5. EAST (REAR) ELEVATION,LOOKING NORTH
6. INTERIOR,COUNCIL CHAMBER
Back to Annapolis, Maryland