Edison Electric Illuminating Company, Charles L. Edgar Station, Bridge Street at Fore River, Weymouth, Norfolk County, MA
See 64 maps of this location
Photo Caption Pages
Bridge Street at Fore River, Weymouth, MA
Find maps of Weymouth, MA
Documentation compiled after 1968.
Survey number HAER MA-34
Building/structure dates: 1923 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1970
Significance: The multi-story Industrial Gothic central generating station was built in 1923 as a supplement to Edison's L. St. Generating Plant. Named after company president Charles Edgar, the plant produced steam at 1200 pounds pressure, more than double the pressure that had ever been used before to run a pair of high pressure turbines. The plant was among the very early steam-electric stations to produce a kilowatt hour for less than a pound of coal. It was in 1930 the largest tidewater electric plant in the East. The station was closed in 1970 and in 1976 was named a National Historic Mechanical Engineering Landmark. Today the plant remains vacant.
Stone & Webster
Bigelow & Wadsworth
Edison Electric Illuminating Company
Edgar, Charles L.
Lowe, Jet, Photographer
Stott, Peter, Historian
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)
1. GENERAL VIEW SHOWING NORTH AND WEST SIDES OF GENERATING PLANT
2. NORTH SIDE OF PLANT SHOWING COAL CONVEYOR ON LEFT.
3. LOOKING TOWARD NORTHEAST OCRNER OF PLANT, CONVEYOR IS ON RIGHT.
Back to Weymouth, Massachusetts