Atwood-Higgins House, Bound Brook Island Road, Wellfleet, Barnstable County, MA
See 31 maps of this location
Photo Caption Pages
Bound Brook Island Road, Wellfleet, MA
Find maps of Wellfleet, MA
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS MA-1087
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (FN-298).
Significance: This is a fine specimen of a Cape Cod "double house," and Dr. Ernest Allen Connally, HABS Architect and historian, in his survey of Cape Cod houses in the summer of 1959, reported that this was locally considered to be the best example on Cape Cod. He found that the house has been carefully restored and preserved by the owner, who has been on this project, among other things, since 1919. The house is located within the area of the proposed Cape Cod National Sea Shore.
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
1. SOUTH FRONT
2. VIEW FROM THE SOUTHEAST
3. VIEW FROM THE NORTHEAST
4. CELLAR, LOOKING TOWARD STAIRS
5. CELLAR, LOOKING NORTHEAST
6. WEST ROOM FIREPLACE WALL
7. NORTHWEST ROOM, SHOWING FIREPLACE
8. FIRST-FLOOR RIGHT FRONT ROOM, SHOWING FIREPLACE
9. KITCHEN, LOOKING EAST TOWARD FIREPLACE
10. RECREATED COUNTRY STORE INTERIOR, LOOKING NORTH
11. VIEW BETWEEN FIREPLACES, SHOWING REAR OF OVEN
12. STAIRS, LOOKING DOWN FROM ATTIC
13. CHIMNEY IN ATTIC
Back to Wellfleet, Massachusetts