Watertown Arsenal, Building No. 37, Arsenal Street, Watertown, Middlesex County, MA
See 61 maps of this location
Photo Caption Pages
Arsenal Street, Watertown, MA
Find maps of Watertown, MA
Documentation compiled after 1968.
Survey number HAER MA-20-B
Significance: Building No. 37, the West Timber Storehouse, is the earliest building on the present AMTL property and was integral to the industrial development of the Watertown Arsenal after 1850. It was originally erected to store and dry timber used in gun carriage production, a primary manufacturing activity at Watertown Arsenal. It matched an earlier timber storehouse which once stood to the east. Along with three buildings to the west and north (43, HAER No. MA-20-C, 312; HAER No. MA-20-F; and 313, HAER No. MA-20-G) constructed between 1862 and 1894, it formed part of a tightly functioning gun carriage manufacturing complex. In the 1890s, it was converted to an iron and brass foundry to meet new technological requirements. Since 1918, the building has been used for maintenance and, later, also as division offices.
Reilly, Col. J. W.
Department Of Ordnance
Lowe, Jet, Photographer
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)
1. EAST (FRONT) ELEVATION, WITH BUILDING #313 AT REAR.
2. SOUTH AND EAST (FRONT) ELEVATIONS, LOOKING NORTHWEST
3. NORTH AND EAST (FRONT) ELEVATIONS, LOOKING SOUTHWEST
4. SOUTH AND WEST (REAR) ELEVATIONS, LOOKING NORTHEAST
5. WEST (REAR) ELEVATION, LOOKING EAST WITH BUILDING #313 AT CLOSE CENTER (WEST ELEVATION), BUILDING #43 AT FAR CENTER (WEST ELEVATION), BUILDING #312 AT LEFT (SOUTH ELEVATION)
6. INTERIOR, LOOKING FRONT ENTRANCE
7. INTERIOR, SHOWING EXPOSED STEEL ROOF TRUSS
Back to Watertown, Massachusetts