Watertown Arsenal, Building No. 313, Talcott Avenue, Watertown, Middlesex County, MA
South And East Elevations, Looking Northwest
West And South Elevations, Looking Northwest
Interior, Detailing Showing Exposed Wood Roof Truss
Photo Caption Pages
Talcott Avenue, Watertown, MA
Find maps of Watertown, MA
Documentation compiled after 1968.
Survey number HAER MA-20-G
Building/structure dates: 1941 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1968 subsequent work
Significance: Building No. 313 is one of the earliest buildings on the present AMTL property and was integral to the industrial development of the Watertown Arsenal in the late-nineteenth and early-twentieth centuries. It was originally erected as a Carriage and Machine Shop for use in gun carriage production, a primary manufacturing activity at Watertown Arsenal. It also contained the central powerhouse for the three adjacent buildings to the west, south, and north (312, HAER No. MA-20-F; 37, HAER No. MA-20-D; and 43, HAER MA-20-C), with which it formed a tightly functioning gun carriage manufacturing complex by the end of the nineteenth century.
Rodman, Thomas J.
U.S. Army Materials Technology Laboratories
Lowe, Jet, Photographer
Brewster, Robert, Photographer
Adams, Virginia H., Historian
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)
1. SOUTH AND EAST ELEVATIONS, LOOKING NORTHWEST
2. WEST AND SOUTH ELEVATIONS, LOOKING NORTHWEST
4. INTERIOR, DETAILING SHOWING EXPOSED WOOD ROOF TRUSS
Back to Watertown, Massachusetts