Rich-Higgins House, Longnook Road, Truro, Barnstable County, MA
See 30 maps of this location
Photo Caption Pages
Longnook Road, Truro, MA
Find maps of Truro, MA
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS MA-718
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (FN-293).
Significance: This residence consists of two houses - a Cape Cod "double house" of the 18th century on the west, and a Cape Cod "house and a half" of the 19th century on the east, and are joined together to make one house. These have the early Cape Cod characteristics both on the exteriors and for the most part, on the interiors. The location is within the area of the proposed Cape Cod National Seashore. / This house is made up of the Jeremiah Higgins Cape Cod "house-and-a-half," built on the site ca. 1830, to the west, and the Joshua Rich Cape Cod "double house," built to the northeast ca. 1780 and moved to the west side of the Higgins House. The houses were joined in the early twentieth century.
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
1. VIEW FROM THE NORTH
2. WEST END
3. WEST ANGLE
4. VIEW FROM THE SOUTH
5. VIEW FROM THE NORTHEAST
6. FIREPLACE WALL IN WESTERNMOST ROOM OF NORTHWEST SECTION
7. FIREPLACE WALL IN EASTERNMOST ROOM OF NORTHWEST SECTION
8. KITCHEN IN NORTHWEST SECTION
9. FIREPLACE WALL OF SOUTHERNMOST ROOM IN SOUTHEAST SECTION
10. KITCHEN IN SOUTHEAST SECTION
11. Photocopy of pre-1905 photograph copied by John Schram. Original owned by Miss Marion Rich, Castle Island, Truro. JOSHUA RICH HOUSE BEFORE IT WAS MOVED, VIEW FROM NORTHWEST
12. Photocopy by Schram of pre-1905 photograph in Marion Rich collection. LONGNOOK FROM THE EAST, SHOWING JOSHUA RICH HOUSE
13. Photocopy by Schram of postcard dated 1924 in Marion Rich collection. RICH-HIGGINS HOUSE AS PRESENTLY SITED, VIEW FROM THE WEST
Back to Truro, Massachusetts