U.S. Coast Guard Cape Cod Canal Station, Off Coast Guard Road, about 1 mile north of U.S. R, Sandwich, Barnstable County, MA
about 1 mile north of U.S. R, Sandwich, MA
Find maps of Sandwich, MA
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS MA-1266
Significance: The Cape Cod Canal Station consists of three Colonial Revival, wood-framed buildings: a 2-1/2 story station house, a 1-1/2 story boathouse, and a 1-1/2 story garage/equipment building. The station house, boathouse and equipment buildings were constructed as a support complex for the activities of the live-saving station following the demolition of the original facility at a site nearby with the widening of the Cape Cod Canal in 1936. The new facility provided space for the central administrative and social support functions of the station following a standard Colonial Revival-styled module employed elsewhere by the Coast Guard for similar facilities during the period. Similar-styled U.S. Coast Guard station complexes, built under federal New Deal WPA/PWA initiatives during the 1935-37 period, exist in the New England coastal region.
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
Back to Sandwich, Massachusetts