Woronoco Bridge, Spanning Westfield River on Bridge Street, Russell, Hampden County, MA
See 48 maps of this location
Photo Caption Pages
Spanning Westfield River on Bridge Street, Russell, MA
Find maps of Russell, MA
Documentation compiled after 1968.
Survey number HAER MA-113
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (FN-28).
Building/structure dates: 1923 initial construction
Significance: The history of the Woronoco Bridge is closely associated with the growth of the Woronoco Mills and the surrounding company town. The Woronoco Bridge is a good example of a relatively standard design for concrete arch bridges built in the early-twentieth century. The bridge is one of the least-altered of eight open-spandrel, ribbed-arch type concrete bridges under Massachusetts Department of Public Works purview.
Daniel O'Connel & Sons
Samuel M. Green Company
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)
1. General view of west portal elevation from roadway, looking east
2. Detail of south railing from deck, looking southwest
3. General view of west portal from deck, looking southwest
4. General view from east river bank, looking south, showing main arches
5. Detail of east arch from east river bank, looking south
6. General view from east river bank, looking southwest, showing arch ribs
7. Detail of east pier from east river bank, showing bracing
8. Long view of west pier from east river bank, looking southwest
9. Detail of east footing from east river bank, looking south
Back to Russell, Massachusetts