Canoe River Mill, Norton, Bristol County, MA
Photo Caption Pages
Norton vicinity, MA
Find maps of Norton, MA
Documentation compiled after 1968.
Survey number HAER MA-15
Building/structure dates: 1730 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1882 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1960 demolished
Significance: The mill complex on the Canoe River was in continuous use from the time of its construction about 1730 until the mid-twentieth century. Originally established as a sawmill, a grist mill was added within the same structure soon after, reportedly at the eastern end of the building. In 1811, the Norton Cotton Mill Company assumed control of the saw and grist mills, and constructed a cotton mill powered by water from the mill pond. The complex was rebuilt on the original fieldstone foundation, and enlarged sometime after 1882. The gristmill declined on the late nineteenth century, but the sawmill continued operations until the middle of the twentieth century. The complex except its foundations and dam, was destroyed in the 1960s.
Flour & Meal Industry
North Cotton Mill Company
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)
1. Historic photograph: sawmill after 1882.
2. Historic photograph: sawmill 1920-1930.
3. Historic photograph: sawmill and blacksmith shop before 1882.
4. Historic photograph: rear of sawmill looking northeast (1933).
5. Photo of Brown University site plan of mill.
Back to Norton vicinity, Massachusetts