Silas Paddack House, 18 India Street, Nantucket, Nantucket County, MA
See 24 maps of this location
18 India Street, Nantucket, MA
Find maps of Nantucket, MA
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS MA-1305
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (N713).
Building/structure dates: 1767 initial construction
Significance: The house at 18 India Street was built c. 1767 for Silas Paddack, mariner, on land inherited from his wife's family. Silas was a direct descendent of Ichabod Paddack who, in 1690, was brought to Nantucket to instruct islanders in killing whales and extracting their oil. Paddack was one of many Nantucket residents who removed to Dartmouth, Nova Scotia. In 1791, the house was sold to William Barnard. After Barnard's death in 1804, his daughter, Nancy Starbuck and her husband, Josiah, occupied the house. They sold it in 1816 to her brother, Frederic. The house was purchased by Peter G. and Lurana Chase in 1821. The Chase family occupied the dwelling until 1829 when it was sold to George Paddack. His descendants sold to George H. Mackay in 1920. In 1942, the property was purchased by George B. and Grace Yerkes. It has remained in their family since then. Today, the Silas Paddack House is one of only five original gambrel roofed houses on the island. Undocumented stories continue to persist that a rum store once occupied a room in the ground floor's northwest corner.
Eating & Drinking
Basti, Claudine, Delineator
Bitz, Diana, Delineator
Bowen, Susannah, Delineator
Dunne, William, Delineator
Hensley, Alice, Delineator
Jankowsky, Jill D., Delineator
Marshall, John, Delineator
Rice, Patty Jo, Delineator
Teal, Jeffrey, Delineator
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
Back to Nantucket, Massachusetts