Greater Light, 8 Howard Street, Nantucket, Nantucket County, MA
See 24 maps of this location
8 Howard Street, Nantucket, MA
Find maps of Nantucket, MA
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS MA-1306
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (N714).
Building/structure dates: 1790 initial construction
Significance: Located on Nantucket Island, the barn at 8 Howard Street is believed to have been built c. 1790. It was purchased in 1906 by William Holland, the town grocer, who used it to house cattle, horses and pigs. The property was purchased in 1929 by James, Anna, Gertrude, and Hanna Monaghan for Gertrude and Hanna, who converted it into their summer home. Known for their non-conformist nature, the two Quaker sisters used the converted barn to house their collection of curios. They acquired pieces from auctions, junk yards and demolition sites throughout the eastern United States. These pieces came from all over the world, giving the house its eclectic character. In 1972 the Nantucket Historical Association inherited the property from Hanna. It is still owned by the Association today.
Ariail, Andrea, Delineator
Bing, Susannah, Delineator
Chastain, Wayne, Delineator
Donna, Elizabeth J., Delineator
Failla, Marybeth, Delineator
Harner, Jessica, Delineator
Johnson, Polly, Delineator
Labhe, James, Delineator
Marshall, Susannah, Delineator
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
Back to Nantucket, Massachusetts