Eleventh Street Bridge, Spanning Turners Fall Canal on Eleventh Street, Montague, Franklin County, MA
See 24 maps of this location
Photo Caption Pages
Spanning Turners Fall Canal on Eleventh Street, Montague, MA
Find maps of Montague, MA
Documentation compiled after 1968.
Survey number HAER MA-107
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (FN-24).
Building/structure dates: 1915 initial construction
Significance: The Eleventh Street Bridge is a unique configuration of a double-intersection Warren through truss, with a pair of trusses on either side of the roadway, and lateral bracing between each pair, but none over the roadway. The bridge was engineered by the Eastern Bridge & Structural Co. of Worcester, Massachusetts, a significant twentieth-century bridge manufacturing firm. The bridge was paid for and erected by the Turners Falls Company for the town of Montague, during a very significant period (1912-1915) of the hydro-electric development of Western Massachusetts.
Eastern Bridge & Structural Company
Turner's Falls Company
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)
1. General view from east canal bank, looking north
2. Closer view from east canal bank, looking north
3. General view of west portal from roadway, looking southeast
4. Detail of southwest truss, showing pedestrian walkway, looking southeast
5. Builder's plate at northwest portal
6. Detail of upper chord bracing system, at northwest corner
7. Detail of web configuration, looking east from roadway
8. Detail of northwest portal end
Back to Montague, Massachusetts