Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming


Home

>

Massachusetts

>

Lowell

>

Western Canal, Pawtucket & Merrimack Canals, Lowell, Middlesex County, MA



B&W Photos

HB546138

HB546139

HB546140


Data Pages


Photo Caption Pages


Item Title


Location
Pawtucket & Merrimack Canals vicinity, Lowell, MA

Find maps of Lowell, MA


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1968.

Notes
Survey number HAER MA-5
Building/structure dates: 1832 initial construction
Significance: The Western Canal was the only power canal in Lowell to be built on two levels, though the Pawtucket Canal also had an upper and a lower level. Construction on two levels meant that the same water could power more than one mill.

Subjects
Canals
Locks (hydraulic Facilities)
Transportation


Related Names
Proprietors Of The Locks & Canals On The Merrimack
Moody , Paul
Boott, Kirk
Rand, Deacon
Cummisky, Hugh
Suffolk Manufacturing Company
Malone, Dr. Patrick M., Historian
Boucher, Jack, Photographer


Collection
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
1. Photocopy of a drawing (original in the Collection of the PL&C, Shelf 123, Drawing 2797)--ca. 1830--PROJECTED PLAN OF THE WESTERN AND LAWRENCE CANALS, MILLS, AND STREETS
2. Photocopy of a drawing (original in the Collection of the PL&C, Shelf 118, Drawing 265) SKETCH OF THE WESTERN CANAL WIDENED TO 60 FEET TOGETHER WITH THE FEEDER SUGGESTED IN MECHANICS STREET, SEPTEMBER 1855
3. GENERAL VIEW LOOKING NORTH SHOWING SECTION ONCE COVERED BY TREMONT MILLS (now demolished): Jack Boucher, Photographer 1976


Back to Lowell, Massachusetts