Eastern Canal, Bridge & Armory Streets, Lowell, Middlesex County, MA
Photo Caption Pages
Bridge & Armory Streets vicinity, Lowell, MA
Find maps of Lowell, MA
Documentation compiled after 1968.
Survey number HAER MA-7
Building/structure dates: 1835 initial construction
Significance: The opening of the Eastern Canal in 1835 marked the end of the second phase of construction of the Lowell Canal System as it had been planned in 1821. The Eastern Canal connected the Pawtucket and Merrimack Canals, and powered the Boott Mills.
Locks (hydraulic Facilities)
Proprietors Of The Locks & Canals On The Merrimack
Francis, James B.
Boott Manufacturing Company
Massachusetts Cotton Mills
Prescott Manufacturing Company
Malone, Dr. Patrick M., Historian
Ansteth, W. Richard, Photographer
Boucher, Jack, Photographer
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)
1. GENERAL VIEW OF THE CANAL, TAKEN WHILE, THE CANAL SYSTEM WAS DRAINED: W. Richard Ansteth, Photographer 1975
2. Photocopy of a drawing (original in the Collection of the PL&C, Shelf 118, Drawing 272)--ca. 1825--PROPOSAL OF BUILDING EASTERN CANAL
3. EASTERN CANAL SHOWING WASTEWAY GATEHOUSE: W. Richard Ansteth, Photographer 1975
4. EASTERN CANAL LOOKING SOUTHEAST FROM THE BOOTT MILLS (ON THE LEFT), WITH THE MASSACHUSETTS MILLS IN THE BACKGROUND: Jack Boucher, Photographer 1976
5. MASSACHUSETTS WASTEWAY GATEHOUSE, SOUTH FACE, SHOWING EASTERN CANAL IN FOREGROUND: Jack Boucher, Photographer 1976
Back to Lowell, Massachusetts