Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home > Massachusetts > Lexington > Munroe Tavern, 1332 Massachusetts Avenue, Lexington, Middlesex County, MA



See 68 maps of this location


B&W Photos
Historic American Buildings Survey Frank O
HB524009
Historic American Buildings Survey Frank O
Exterior From The East
HB524010
Exterior From The East


Data Pages


Drawings


Photo Caption Pages


Item Title


Location
1332 Massachusetts Avenue, Lexington, MA

Find maps of Lexington, MA


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS MA-550
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (FN-320).
Significance: The earliest portion of the structure is traditionally believed to have been built in 1695 by William Munroe. Operated as a tavern by the builder's grandson, Sergeant William Munroe of the Lexington Minute Men, it served on April 19, 1775, as the headquarters of General Percy and his British rescue troops. President Washington was entertained here in 1789 during his tour of New England. The tavern is presently owned by the Lexington Historical Society and is open to the public as a museum.

Subjects
Taverns (inns)


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
2. Historic American Buildings Survey Frank O. Branzetti, Photographer April 7, 1941 (a) EXT.- FRONT & SIDE, LOOKING SOUTH
3. EXTERIOR FROM THE EAST
4. EXTERIOR FROM THE NORTHWEST


Back to Lexington, Massachusetts