Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming


Home

>

Massachusetts

>

Dedham

>

Norfolk Manufacturing Company Cotton Mill, 90 Milton Street, Dedham, Norfolk County, MA



See 50 maps of this location


B&W Photos

HB555815

HB555816

HB555817

HB555818

HB555819

HB555820

HB555821

HB555822

HB555823

HB555824

HB555825

HB555826

HB555827

HB555828

HB555829

HB555830

HB555831

HB555832

HB555833

HB555834


Data Pages


Photo Caption Pages


Color Transparencies
High Res. Downloads starting at $19.99
Please email us to
purchase this image.


Item Title
Norfolk Manufacturing Company Cotton Mill, 90 Milton Street, Dedham, Norfolk County, MA

Location
90 Milton Street, Dedham, MA

Find maps of Dedham, MA


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1968.

Notes
Survey number HAER MA-80
Building/structure dates: 1835 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1863 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1985 subsequent work
Significance: The 1835 mill is typical in scale of New England fabric production at the time, but is unusual because it was based on Rhode Island stone mills, rather than the more usual brick type found in Massachusetts. A builder identified only as Mr. Kinsey of Fall River built the structure from granite quarried in Dedham; he also built other mills in the area. Thomas Barrows purchased and expanded the building in 1863. During the 1930s, the mill ceased production of fabric and became instead a shoddy mill, under the name of United Waste Company. Recently the building has been modified to contain 43 condominium housing units. On the other side of the mill race, new buildings house another 43 units.

Subjects
Smokestacks
Stone Buildings (granite)
Office Buildings


Related Names
Kinsley
Barrows , Thoma
Westinghouse Electric Manufacturing Company
Bergmeyer Associates
United Waste Company
Lowe, Jet, Photographer
Buerglener, Robert, Historian


Collection
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
1. General view from street showing wood frame office building with stone mill building in background at right
2. General view of mill complex from street showing wood frame office, stone mill building in background at left, and weave shed in background at right
3. View showing rear of office
4. General view of stone mill building
5. Weave shed, view from street showing roof with clerestory
6. Weave shed, view of rear of building from adjacent property, stone mill and boiler plant smokestack at background right
7. Wood frame building taken from mill race downstream
8. View showing mill race and enclosed pedestrian bridge connecting various parts of the mill buildings in foreground; stone mill building and boiler smokestack in rearground
9. Boiler plant, general view from southeast
10. Power room, general view taken from the northwest corner
11. Power room, view of Westinghouse steam turbine: turbine RPM-6,000, governor RPM-1017, turbine number 8695, manufactured by Westinghouse Electric Manufacturing company, East Pittsburg, Pennsylvania
12. Power room, view of Westinghouse steam turbine from rear
13. Power room, view of Westinghouse electric motor
14. Power room, view of horizontal water turbine showing wheel
15. Power room, end view of horizontal water turbine
16. Power room, view of Corliss horizontal steam engine
17. Power room, view of control panel
18. Power room, showing rear of control panel
19. General view showing garneting machine number eight on right, and garneting machines numbers four through seven on left in background
20. Ceiling trusses underneath top floor in 1835 stone mill building


Back to Dedham, Massachusetts