West End Street Railway, Cleveland Circle Car House, Chestnut Hill Avenue & Beacon Street, Brookline, Norfolk County, MA
Please email us to
purchase this image.
Photo Caption Pages
Chestnut Hill Avenue & Beacon Street vicinity, Brookline, MA
Find maps of Brookline, MA
Documentation compiled after 1968.
Survey number HAER MA-43
Building/structure dates: 1890 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1982 demolished
Significance: The Cleveland Circle Car House was a depot for the West End Street Railway, the first electric streetcar line in Boston, established in 1889. In the 1890s, this became the largest electric streetcar system in the nation. Frank Sprague electrified the original line, and by 1891, the company operated 217 miles of street railways, much the largest electrified trackage of any system in the country. The Car House was a wood frame building, and featured bracketed cornices and other classical revival detail.
Sprague , Frank
West End Street Railway
Lowe, Jet, Photographer
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)
1. General view of the Car House
Back to Brookline, Massachusetts