Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming


Home

>

Massachusetts

>

Brookline

>

Fairsted, 99 Warren Street, Brookline, Norfolk County, MA



See 64 maps of this location


Data Pages


Drawings


Photo Caption Pages


Item Title


Location
99 Warren Street, Brookline, MA

Find maps of Brookline, MA


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS MA-1168
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (FN-334).
Building/structure dates: 1810 initial construction
National Register Number: 66000780
Significance: Purchased by Olmstead in 1883, the house was remodeled before his death in 1903, and remodeled and added to until 1980 when it was declared a National Historic Site (National Park Service). / The Frederick Law Olmstead National Historic Site, containing the home and office of America's premier landscape architect, was established in 1979. The house (c. 1810) was bought by Olmstead in 1883 and remodeled before his death in 1903. Frederick Law Olmstead, Jr., landscape architect, lived there until 1936, modifying the house and adding a servants' wing. Between 1963 and 1980 Olmstead Associates modernized the kitchen and added the brick terrace and swimming pool. Four office structures adjoining the north parlor were added from 1889 to 1925. In 1925 the west wall of the 1889 clerical department was moved west about five feet and a second story was added. The adjoining planting department was built in 1899. In 1911 the 1891 north drafting wing roof was raised, and a second story was inserted. The plans vault was built in 1901 with a third story added in 1911. The barn originally stood diagonally across from the house but was moved to its present location soon after 1883. The pre-1883 hay barn, carpenter's shop addition (c. 1890), and wood shed (c. 1910) are now west of the office complex. The barn was used as a stable, model shop, and soil testing laboratory at various times.

Subjects
Houses
Domestic Life
Gardeners


Related Names
Olmsted, Frederick Law
Lowe, Jet, Photographer
Boucher, Jack E., Photographer


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents


Back to Brookline, Massachusetts