Camp Edwards, Bourne, Barnstable County, MA
See 71 maps of this location
Photo Caption Pages
Find maps of Bourne, MA
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS MA-1249
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (FN-355).
Significance: Camp Edwards is significant as one of the first camps built (or in this case built-up) as part of the mobilization construction program of the Army--a massive national building program designed to provide housing and training areas for troops in preparation for US involvement in WWII. Much of the methodology for both the construction and administration of the mobilization effort was developed at Camp Edwards. The wood frame temporary buildings constructed here in 1940-41 provided the testing grounds for the 700-series, formula drawings which were adopted for temporary construction nationwide.
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
1. GENERAL VIEW, SHOWING SIX BUILDINGS WITH FREE STANDING CHIMNEYS
2. GENERAL VIEW BETWEEN BUILDINGS 3554 THROUGH 3556, VIEW TO NORTHEAST
3. WIDE VIEW OF BUILDINGS 3554 THROUGH 3556
4. GENERAL VIEW OF RUINED 3500 BLOCK BUILDINGS TO NORTHEAST
5. GENERAL VIEW OF RUINED 3500 BLOCK BUILDINGS TO SOUTHWEST
6. GENERAL VIEW OF ONE TWO-STORY RUIN OF 3500 BLOCK BUILDINGS, COLLAPSED
7. GENERAL VIEW SHOWING FACADE DETAIL IN COLLAPSE
8. DETAILED VIEW SHOWING FOOTINGS SLAB, REMNANTS OF STRUCTURE VIEWED FROM CHERRY PICKER
9. LONG ROW TO NORTH BETWEEN BUILDINGS 1306 AND 1307
10. AERIAL VIEW TO NORTH OF ENTIRE CAMP FROM CA. 2,000 FT.
11. AERIAL VIEW OF PARADE GROUND
12. AERIAL VIEW OF HEAD QUARTERS TO NORTH WITH RUNWAYS IN BACKGROUND
13. AERIAL VIEW OF ROTARY NEAR WATER TOWERS TO SOUTHEAST
14. AERIAL VIEW OF 3500 BLOCK TO NORTHWEST
15. CLOSER AERIAL VIEW OF 3500 BLOCK SHOWING FOUNDATION RUINS
16. AERIAL VIEW OF 1200 BLOCK AND PART OF 1300 BLOCK, TO NORTHWEST
17. AERIAL VIEW OF 3600 BLOCK TO EAST NORTHEAST
18. AERIAL VIEW OF WORLD WAR II 'COLORED TROOP' AREA, VIEW TO NORTH
19. AERIAL VIEW OF ROTARY NEAR WATER TOWERS TO NORTH
Back to Bourne, Massachusetts