Roxbury Gas Light Company, Gasholder, 8 Gerard Street at Massachusetts Avenue, Boston, Suffolk County, MA
See 31 maps of this location
Please email us to
purchase this image.
Photo Caption Pages
8 Gerard Street at Massachusetts Avenue, Boston, MA
Find maps of Boston, MA
Documentation compiled after 1968.
Survey number HAER MA-40
Building/structure dates: 1873 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1906 subsequent work
Significance: Seventy feet high and 110 feet in diameter, the brick gasholder was constructed between 1868 and 1873, one of several built by the Roxbury Gas Light Company at the southern end of South Cove. In 1905 the company consolidated with the other local gas companies to become the Boston Consolidated Gas Company. The original retort and purifier houses were removed the following year, replaced by the existing office building and repair and paint shops on Hilton St. Building permits indicate that the gasholder may have been a "moving picture exhibition space" in the 1920's. Once a common feature of the urban industrial landscape, this is one of only two complete gasholders left in Massachusetts.
Roxbury Gas Light Company
Standard Importing Company
Boston Consolidated Gas Company
Lowe, Jet, Photographer
Stott, Peter, Historian
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)
1. LOOKING SOUTHEAST ON MASS. AVE., GASHOLDER IS ON RIGHT.
Back to Boston, Massachusetts