Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming


Home

>

Massachusetts

>

Boston

>

Boston Water Works, Roxbury Standpipe, Fort Avenue, Highland Park, Boston, Suffolk County, MA



See 68 maps of this location


B&W Photos

HB550213


Data Pages


Photo Caption Pages


Color Transparencies
High Res. Downloads starting at $19.99
Please email us to
purchase this image.


Item Title
Boston Water Works, Roxbury Standpipe, Fort Avenue, Highland Park, Boston, Suffolk County, MA

Location
Highland Park, Boston, MA

Find maps of Boston, MA


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1968.

Notes
Survey number HAER MA-25
Building/structure dates: 1870 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1880
Building/structure dates: 1907 subsequent work
Part of building/structure is in Roxbury, Suffolk County, MA.
Significance: The annexation of Roxbury to Boston on January 6, 1868, rendered a high-service water supply system necessary. Previously, Boston had been supplied by a gravity-flow system from the Brookline Reservoir. Based on an examination of other city water supplies, the Water Board decided to adopt the "Stand-pipe System." Standpipes were still relatively uncommon among city water-supply systems, and the 80-foot iron water tower erected in Highland Park was probably the earliest standpipe to be erected in the Boston area, if not in the state. The "Old Fort Lot," so called, of Revolutionary War fame, was chosen as the site, despite the protests of a number of citizens that the place should be preserved as an historic relic. The works, including a pumping station at Elmwood and Roxbury Streets, were put into operation on February 25, 1870. Success of the system led to applications for high service from South Boston and Dorchester. Future annexations, it was expected, would greatly increase the high-service area. To serve these needs, the City Engineer proposed a new high-service pumping station at Chestnut Hill. With the completion of the new station, the Roxbury Standpipe was abandoned after only ten years of service. The standpipe consists of a boiler-plate iron shell, 5 feet in diameter and 80 feet in height. The pipe was enclosed in an elaborate brick tower in the Gothic style designed by Standish and Woodbury. Between the interior pipe and the outer wall, there is a 3-foot space occupied by a spiral staircase leading to a lookout at the top. In 1907, an iron balcony, now removed, was added to the standpipe, and for several years, it was a popular observation tower.

Subjects
Water Towers
Water Supply
Storage


Related Names
Standish & Woodbury
Stott, Peter, Photographer
Stott, Peter, Historian


Collection
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
1. GENERAL EXTERIOR VIEW


Back to Boston, Massachusetts