LeJeune House, 507 East Main Street, New Roads, Pointe Coupee Parish, LA
507 East Main Street, New Roads, LA
Find maps of New Roads, LA
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS LA-1322
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (N925).
National Register Number: 78001435
Significance: The Lejeune House was the first home to occupy what is now the town of New Roads which overlooks the Mississippi River's abandon oxbow, False River. The house sits in the shade of the Samson Oak, a 300 year old registered live oak. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places the house takes its name from the second master to live in its massive walls. It was the first home of Francois Samson, the son of a French-born Spanish soldier of the same name dispatched to Ft. Point Coupee. One of Samson's granddaughters married Jean Baptiste Lejeune, and it assumed this name for the family who lived in it continuously until 1978 when it was purchased by Mary Rollinger. The present owner, Jim & Martha Dunsmore, purchased the property in 1983.
Borgeois, Tony, Field Team
Terracina, Ben, Field Team
Boykin, Gabrielle, Delineator
Broussard, Barry, Delineator
Couffin, Jean-Marc, Delineator
Frick, Brent A., Delineator
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
Back to New Roads, Louisiana