Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home

>

Louisiana

>

Natchitoches

>

Magnolia Plantation, Louisiana Route 119, Natchitoches, Natchitoches Parish, LA



See 13 maps of this location


B&W Photos

HB504140
BWPhotos 204760

HB504141
BWPhotos 204761

HB504142
BWPhotos 204762

HB504143
BWPhotos 204763

HB504144
BWPhotos 204764

HB504145
BWPhotos 204765

HB504146
BWPhotos 204766

HB504147
BWPhotos 204767


Data Pages


Drawings


Color Transparencies

Image not currently available to download
Please email us to
purchase this image.
Item Title


Location
Louisiana Route 119, Natchitoches, LA

Find maps of Natchitoches, LA


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS LA-1193
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (105,N795,N921; FN-105; N795; N921).
Building/structure dates: 1840 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1864 demolished
Building/structure dates: 1898 subsequent work
National Register Number: 19790307
0.1988
Significance: Lands within Magnolia Plantation have been owned and cultivated by the same family since the French land grants of 1753. Magnolia remains one of the South's most complete plantation complexes, with buildings and landscape features spanning its entire 250-year history. Noteworthy are the oak alley, a nationally significant cotton press, the brick slave quarters later used for tenant housing, a slave hospital, a blacksmith shop, the plantation store, and the big house with private chapel.Planter Matthew Hertzog built the plantation's "big house" in the 1890s on the foundation of a dwelling burned during the Civil War. The previous house was a regionally distinctive, raised Creole cottage dating to the 1840s, up to 1851; it had a two-story brick basement, raised galleries on the front and back, and ringed by over twenty 18' brick Tuscan columns. The present big house is a late nineteenth-century interpretation of the raised Creole cottage traditionally built in the Cane River area, adapted to modern materials, technologies, and tastes.As one of the largest plantation homes in the area, Magnolia's big house reflects the wealth, status, and endurance of the Hertzog family at the end of one of the most turbulent periods in Louisiana history. The house tells much about the history of planter society, agriculture, and the rural South since the colonial era.

Subjects
Agriculture
Wooden Buildings
Dwellings


Related Names
Lecompte, Ambrose
Hertzog, Matthew
Hertzog, Elizabeth
Cane River Creole National Historical Park
Atwell, Felicia, Field Team
Carnahan, Brian, Field Team
Sanders, Andrew, Field Team
Tulejova, Oxana, Field Team
Bremholm, Tony, Historian
Boucher, Jack E., Photographer


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents


Back to Natchitoches, Louisiana