Beau Fort, 4055 State Highway 494, Natchez, Natchitoches Parish, LA
4055 State Highway 494, Natchez, LA
Find maps of Natchez, LA
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS LA-1291
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (N612).
Building/structure dates: 1834 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1937 subsequent work
Significance: Beau Fort (formerly known as the Narcisse Prudhomme Plantation) dates back to the early 19th century. ... The original one and half story structure is of bousillage entre poteaux construction (a mixture of mud and deer hair placed between posts). The frame is constructed of cypress timbers which are mortised, tenoned and pegged. The original floor plan appears to have been rectilinear, with four rooms across the front and 2 large rooms in the rear. All rooms, except one, opened into each other without the benefit of interior corridors. The exception was known as the "stranger's room," and enabled the owners to offer overnight hospitality to travelers without giving them access to the balance of the house.
Conservation & Restoration
Austin, Mandi, Delineator
Carter, Jessica, Delineator
Cooper, Christopher, Delineator
Dillehay, Shannon, Delineator
Harris, Christopher, Delineator
Lesur, Rene, Delineator
Linzay, Kristopher, Delineator
McCollum, Eric, Delineator
Richard, Geneen, Delineator
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
Back to Natchez, Louisiana