Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming


Home

>

Louisiana

>

Jefferson

>

Huey P. Long Bridge, Spanning Mississippi River approximately midway be, Jefferson, Jefferson Parish, LA



See 15 maps of this location


Data Pages


Drawings


Photo Caption Pages


Item Title


Location
Spanning Mississippi River approximately midway be, Jefferson, LA

Find maps of Jefferson, LA


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1968.

Notes
Survey number HAER LA-17
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (N1071).
Building/structure dates: 1935 initial construction
Significance: The Huey P. Long Bridge, the first bridge to cross the Mississippi River in Louisiana, was named for governor during whose administration it was built. It is still considered a major engineering accomplishment and was recognized as the world's longest steel trestle railroad bridge at 22,996' (4.36 miles of structure) in length. It has two railroad tracks between two trusses and two, two-lane highways bracketed to the outside. It was built during the depression of the 1930s at a cost of $12.8 million. The bridge is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Subjects
Railroad Bridges


Related Names
Modjeski, Masters & Chase, Inc.
Siems-Helmers, Inc.
American Bridge Company
McDonald Engineering Company
McClintic-Marshall Corporation
Paul M. Brignac Electric & Machine Company


Collection
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
VIEW OF WEST BANK RAILROAD APPROACH TO BRIDGE LOOKING EAST-NORTHEAST.
VIEW OF WEST BANK RAILROAD APPROACH VIADUCT TO BRIDGE LOOKING EAST-SOUTH EAST.
VIEW OF WEST BANK ELEVATED RAILROAD APPROACH VIADUCT TO BRIDGE LOOKING NORTHEAST.
VIEW OF WEST BANK ELEVATED RAILROAD AND VEHICULAR HIGHWAY APPROACH VIADUCT LOOKING NORTHEAST.
VIEW OF WEST BANK ELEVATED RAILROAD AND HIGHWAY APPROACH VIADUCT, BRIDGE PIER A, AND WEST BANK END OF THE CANTILEVER THROUGH TRUSS SUPERSTRUCTURE SECTION LOOKING EAST.
VIEW OF WEST BANK ELEVATED RAILROAD AND HIGHWAY APPROACH VIADUCT LOOKING SOUTHEAST.
VIEW OF BRIDGE CANTILEVER THROUGH TRUSS CANTILEVER PORTAL ON WEST BANK SIDE LOOKING NORTHWEST.
VIEW OF PORTION OF EXISTING WEST BANK APPROACH TRAFFIC CIRCLE SHOWING LANDSCAPING LOOKING DOWN ON EAST SIDE OF APPROACH.
VIEW OF EAST BANK RAILROAD APPROACH TO BRIDGE LOOKING WEST.
VIEW OF EAST BANK ELEVATED RAILROAD APPROACH AND EAST SIDE OF HIGHWAY APPROACH LOOKING SOUTHEAST TOWARD BRIDGE.
CLOSE-UP VIEW OF EAST BANK ELEVATED RAILROAD AND HIGHWAY APPROACHES AT THE SIMPLE THROUGH TRUSS BRIDGE SPAN PORTAL LOOKING SOUTHEAST.
VIEW OF EAST BANK ELEVATED RAILROAD VIADUCT AND BEGINNING OF HIGHWAY APPROACH VIADUCT LOOKING SOUTHEAST.
VIEW OF EAST BANK ELEVATED RAILROAD VIADUCT AND ELEVATED HIGHWAY CONCRETE PIERS, STEEL SUPPORT BEAMS, AND VIADUCT ON WEST SIDE LOOKING SOUTHEAST.
CLOSE-UP VIEW OF EAST BANK ELEVATED HIGHWAY CONCRETE PIERS, STEEL SUPPORT BEAMS, ROAD DECK CANTILEVER AND RAILING ON WEST SIDE LOOKING SOUTHEAST.
CLOSE-UP VIEW OF ELEVATED HIGHWAY RAILING LOOKING NORTHEAST.
SIDE VIEW OF TYPICAL ELEVATED RAILROAD VIADUCT TOWER ON THE EAST BANK LOOKING NORTHEAST.
BRIDGE PLAQUE LOCATED ON EAST BANK ELEVATED RAILROAD VIADUCT TOWER INSCRIBED,”BUILT BY McCLINTIC-MARSHALL CORPORATION 1935”, LOOKING NORTHEAST.
VIEW OF BRIDGE SUBSTRUCTURE CONCRETE PIERS “III”, “II”, “I” AND “A” AND SUPERSTRUCTURE MAIN BRIDGE, CANTILEVER THROUGH TRUSS CANTILEVER SECTION LOOKING SOUTH AND UP.
VIEW OF BRIDGE CONCRETE PIER “III” AT INTERSECTION OF THE MAIN CANTILEVER THROUGH TRUSS SPAN AND THE SIMPLE THROUGH TRUSS SPAN LOOKING SOUTHWEST.
VIEW OF BRIDGE CONCRETE PIER “IV” LOOKING NORTHWEST.
VIEW OF ELEVATED RAILROAD AND HIGHWAY DECK TRUSS SPAN AND CONCRETE PIER “C” LOOKING SOUTHEAST.
VIEW OF ELEVATED RAILROAD AND HIGHWAY DECK TRUSS SPAN AND CONCRETE PIER “D” LOOKING NORTHWEST.
VIEW OF BRIDGE SUBSTRUCTURE CONCRETE PIERS “II”, “III”, “1V” AND “V” AND SUPERSTRUCTURE MAIN BRIDGE CANTILEVER THROUGH TRUSS CANTILEVER SPAN AND SIMPLE THROUGH TRUSS SPAN LOOKING NORTHWEST AND UP.
VIEW OF WEST BANK RAILROAD AND HIGHWAY APPROACH SUBSTRUCTURE CONCRETE PIER “A” AND STEEL TOWER SUPPORTS LOOKING SOUTHEAST.
VIEW OF BRIDGE SUPERSTRUCTURE PIER “II” LOOKING SOUTHEAST.
VIEW OF BRIDGE SUPERSTRUCTURE PIER “IV” AND UNDERSIDE OF RAILROAD AND HIGHWAY SPAN LOOKING NORTHWEST AND UP.
GENERAL VIEW OF BRIDGE NORTHEAST FACE LOOKING SOUTHWEST FROM DOWN RIVER.
GENERAL VIEW OF BRIDGE AND SETTING LOOKING SOUTHWEST FROM EAST BANK.
VIEW OF BRIDGE NORTHEAST FACE, LOOKING WEST.
VIEW OF BRIDGE CANTILEVER THROUGH TRUSS CANTILEVER SECTION, LOOKING WEST.
VIEW OF BRIDGE SIMPLE THROUGH TRUSS SPAN ON EAST BANK END BETWEEN CONCRETE PIERS “III” AND “IV” AND PORTION OF CANTILEVER SECTION BETWEEN CONCRETE PIERS “II” AND “III”, LOOKING WEST.
GENERAL VIEW OF BRIDGE SUPERSTRUCTURE SOUTHWEST FACE, LOOKING EAST.
VIEW OF BRIDGE CONCRETE PIERS “II”, “III”, “IV” AND “V” AND SOUTHWEST FACE OF PORTION OF SUPERSTRUCTURE CANTILEVER THROUGH TRUSS CANTILEVER AND SIMPLE THROUGH TRUSS SPAN, LOOKING NORTH.
VIEW OF SOUTHWEST FACE OF BRIDGE SUPERSTRUCTURE CANTILEVER THROUGH TRUSS SECTION AND CONCRETE PIERS “A”, “I”, “II”, AND “III”, AND WEST END VIADUCT APPROACH LOOKING EAST.
VIEW OF SOUTHWEST FACE OF SIMPLE BRIDGE THROUGH TRUSS SPAN BETWEEN CONCRETE PIERS “III” AND “IV”, LOOKING NORTHEAST.
VIEW OF CANTILEVER THROUGH TRUSS BRIDGE PORTALS AT JUNCTION BETWEEN SIMPLE THROUGH TRUSS SPAN LOOKING SOUTHEAST TOWARD WEST BANK.
VIEW OF SIMPLE THROUGH TRUSS SPAN BUILT-UP RIVETED AND LACED STEEL STRUCTURAL MEMBERS, LOOKING SOUTHEAST FROM CENTERLINE OF BRIDGE BETWEEN RAILROAD TRACKS.
VIEW OF MAIN BRIDGE CANTILEVER THROUGH TRUSS SECTION AT EYE-BAR/PIN CONNECTED SECTION LOOKING SOUTHEAST FROM CENTERLINE OF BRIDGE.
VIEW OF MAIN BRIDGE CANTILEVER THROUGH TRUSS SECTION AT LOWER EYE-BAR/PIN CONNECTION.
CLOSE-UP VIEW OF PORTION OF MAIN BRIDGE CANTILEVER THROUGH TRUSS SPAN LOOKING UP AND NORTHEAST.
CLOSE-UP VIEW OF PORTION OF SIMPLE THROUGH TRUSS SPAN LOOKING UP AND NORTHEAST.
CLOSE-UP VIEW OF TYPICAL LOWER DIAGONAL RIVETED CONNECTION OF MAIN BRIDGE CANTILEVER THROUGH TRUSS SPAN.
CLOSE-UP VIEW OF TYPICAL LOWER DIAGONAL AND VERTICAL RIVETED CONNECTION OF MAIN THROUGH TRUSS CANTILEVER SPAN.
CLOSE-UP VIEW OF BOTTOM OF MAIN BRIDGE CANTILEVER THROUGH TRUSS SPAN SHOWING RAILROAD PORTION OF FLOOR BEAMS AND OTHER STRUCTURAL COMPONENTS AND LOOKING NORTHWEST.
CLOSE-UP VIEW OF BOTTOM OF MAIN BRIDGE CANTILEVER THROUGH TRUSS SPAN SHOWING CANTILEVERED HIGHWAY FLOOR BRACKET LOOKING NORTHWEST AT PIER “II”.
CLOSE-UP VIEW OF TYPICAL CAST STEEL BEARING SHOE ON TOP OF CONCRETE PIERS, UPON WHICH THE BRIDGE SPANS REST.
CLOSE-UP OF TYPICAL BUILT-UP, RIVETED AND PIN CONNECTED DECK TRUSS LOOKING UP AND NORTHEAST.
VIEW OF EAST AND NORTH SIDES OF WEST BANK RAILROAD CONTROL TOWER LOOKING SOUTH.
INTERIOR VIEW OF WEST BANK RAILROAD CONTROL TOWER SHOWING INTERLOCKING SWITCHING LEVER CONTROL PANEL.
Photographic copy of 8” x 10” black and white photograph of photograph of Franklin M. Masters (1883–1974). Photographer unknown: Loose in separate folder in oversized box located at the National Museum of American History, Smithsonian Institution, Archives Center, Work and Industry Division, Washington, D.C. PHOTOGRAPH OF FRANKLIN M. MASTERS (1883-1974).
Photographic copy of 8” x 10” black and white photograph of photograph of Ralph Modjeski (1861–1940). Photographer unknown: Loose in separate folder in oversized box located at the National Museum of American History, Smithsonian Institution, Archives Center, Work and Industry Division, Washington, D.C.PHOTOGRAPH OF RALPH MODJESKI (1861 - 1940).
Photographic copy of Mr. T. L. Macon’s July 23, 1872 stockholder’s certificate no. 109 in the Public Belt Railroad Association of New Orleans, Louisiana. Original certificate located in the New Orleans Public Belt Railroad administrative offices at 5100 Jefferson Highway, Jefferson, LA 70123.MR. T. L. MACON’S JULY 23, 1872 STOCKHOLDER’S CERTIFICATE NO. 109 IN THE PUBLIC BELT RAILROAD ASSOCIATION OF NEW ORLEANS, LOUISIANA.
Photographic copy of 3 ½” x 5” glass lantern slide no. 2 of March 1925 drawing by Ralph Modjeski, Consulting Engineer. Located in wooden pine box #23 in box 84 of 94 at the National Museum of American History, Smithsonian Institution, Archives Center, Work and industry Division, Washington, D.C.

Back to Jefferson, Louisiana