Sterling Sugar Mill, Parish Road 28 (Sterling Road), Franklin, Rapides Parish, LA
See 14 maps of this location
Parish Road 28 (Sterling Road), Franklin, LA
Find maps of Franklin, LA
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS LA-1210
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (FN-59).
Significance: The Sterling Sugar Refinery, established 1807, was acquired in 1902 by Sterling Sugar Railway Company. The complex consists of a sugar mill, operations house, supply and general offices, raw sugar shipping building and workers' quarters. The refinery has undergone numerous alterations that have enveloped the original mill. The facility is currently owned by Sterling Sugars Inc. and processes approximately 12,600 tons of daily cane in production.
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
Back to Franklin, Louisiana