Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home

>

Louisiana

>

Fisher

>

Town of Fisher, U.S. Highway 171, Fisher, Sabine Parish, LA



Drawings


Item Title


Location
U.S. Highway 171, Fisher, LA

Find maps of Fisher, LA


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS LA-1251
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (N609).
0.1995
Significance: Fisher is the last of the Louisiana sawmill towns built during the lumbering heyday at the turn of the century. It is located on U.S. Hwy. 171 between Hodges Gardens and many and an bout 20 miles from Toldeo Bend Lake. The village still reflects the nostalgic past and gives visitors an eerie feeling of having stepped back into time. The office complex and many of the original wooden houses, surrounded by white picket or plank fences, are intact and few plank walks still exist. The village was built following the incorporation of Louisiana Long Leaf Lumber Company, better known as 4-L Co., July 15, 1899. It was named for the company president and general manager, Oliver Williams Fisher, a Missouri lumberman. It was the largest sawmill town in the parish and the most important one on the Kansas City Southern Railroad. It remained a company-owned sawmill town until it was purchased by Boise Cascade in 1966. The new owners continued to operate the mill but subdivided the town and sold it to the residents. To keep the village from falling into oblivion residents incorporated the village and organized Fisher Heritage Foundation, Inc., a non-profit group dedicated to preservation. In 1971 the KCS Railroad presented the foundation with the depot, and in 1972 Boise Southern conveyed the office complex to the foundation. The property included 9 1/2 acres of land containing the office building, commissary, opera house, post office, paved village square, tree-shaded park and "the birds, the bees, and the grass thereon." In 1979 the village was designated as a Louisiana Landmark and placed on the National Register of Historic Districts.

Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents


Back to Fisher, Louisiana