Destrehan Plantation, River Road, Destrehan, St. Charles Parish, LA
See 14 maps of this location
River Road, Destrehan, LA
Find maps of Destrehan, LA
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS LA-1212
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (FN-60).
Building/structure dates: 1787 initial construction
National Register Number: 73002132
Significance: In 1782, a wealthy and influential French immigrant, Robert Antoine de Logny, bought the site of the plantation from his father-in-law Mathurin Dreaux. Five years later de Logny commissioned a free man of color, Charles, to build the manor. Upon completion of the house in April 22, 1790, master craftsman Charles received a cow, a calf, a slave, rice, corn, and a hundred piastres as agreed in the contract. Built in the French Colonial tradition, the house consisted of the existing pitched roof and chimneys. Surrounding the balconies were short, colonial style wooden columns for support.
Santos, Javier, Delineator
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
Back to Destrehan, Louisiana