Oakland Plantation, Stables, Route 494, Bermuda, Natchitoches Parish, LA
See 13 maps of this location
Route 494, Bermuda, LA
Find maps of Bermuda, LA
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS LA-1192-H
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (FN-95).
Building/structure dates: 1820 initial construction
Suggested address, Rt. 494, is not verifiable in documentation.
National Register Number: 79001073
Significance: The stable was built circa 1820-1830 of hand-hewn cypress heavy timber construction. The two-story central section was originally used as a smokehouse with the surrounding lattice gallery available for drying various plants, vegetables, and other foodstuffs, during the twentieth century, some of the lattice walls were reworked with board and batten construction and converted to stables and storage areas. Grains, hay, and livestock related materials are found in the wooden-floored central area. The roof was originally covered with cypress shingles which were replaced in the twentieth century with corrugated tin.
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
Back to Bermuda, Louisiana