Oakland Plantation, Slave Quarter, Route 494, Bermuda, Natchitoches Parish, LA
See 13 maps of this location
Route 494, Bermuda, LA
Find maps of Bermuda, LA
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS LA-1192-M
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (FN-100).
Building/structure dates: 1820 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1900 subsequent work
Suggested address, Rt. 494, is not verifiable in documentation.
National Register Number: 79001073
Significance: This Slave Quarter Building is one of two extant quarters at Oakland Plantation. In the mid-nineteenth century there were approximately twenty of these structures. This one is typical and of bousiallage (mud and moss between heavy cypress timbers) construction with weatherboards built circa 1820. The gallery was originally an overhang supported by diagonal braces. This brace construction is extant and was a design detail used on many of the earlier structures at Oakland (other slave quarters, blacksmith shop). The roof was originally cypress shingles which were replaced with sheet metal in the early twentieth century.
Buono, Jon A., Photographer
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
Back to Bermuda, Louisiana