Oakland Plantation, Doctor's House, Route 494, Bermuda, Natchitoches Parish, LA
See 13 maps of this location
Route 494, Bermuda, LA
Find maps of Bermuda, LA
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS LA-1192-P
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (FN-103).
Building/structure dates: 1820 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1871 subsequent work
Suggested address, Rt. 494, is not verifiable in documentation.
National Register Number: 79001073
Significance: In 1871 Dr. Joseph Levecque requested permission to remodel and add to an existing small cypress cottage of the 1820's. He agreed that upon his departure from the house all improvements would become the property of the Prud'hommes. Thus began life for this continuously altered structure. The original bousillage walls and roof truss can be discerned. The first floor included one or two rooms surrounded by a gallery. The gallery was gradually enclosed and other additions made. The setting is complete with several outbuildings, most in ruins, that are included in the photographic survey. The Doctors House, like the Manor House, remains in continuous occupancy. The roof was originally covered in cypress shingles and has been changed to asphalt shingles.
Levecque, Dr. Joseph
Buono, Jon A., Photographer
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
Back to Bermuda, Louisiana