Oakland Plantation, Carriage House, Route 494, Bermuda, Natchitoches Parish, LA
See 13 maps of this location
Route 494, Bermuda, LA
Find maps of Bermuda, LA
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS LA-1192-L
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (FN-99).
Building/structure dates: 1820 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1900 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1950 subsequent work
Suggested address, Rt. 494, is not verifiable in documentation.
National Register Number: 79001073
Significance: The Carriage House was built in the 1820's of frame and heavy timber cypress construction. The two side sheds were converted into garages in the early twentieth century. The rear wall was removed and the interior ceiling altered to allow for the storage of a cotton picker in the 1950's. The roof was originally covered with cypress shingles which were replaced with sheet metal in the early twentieth century.
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
Back to Bermuda, Louisiana