Willow Grove Plantation, 11421 Perkins Road (changed from 18367 Perkins Roa, Baton Rouge, East Baton Rouge Parish, LA
See 14 maps of this location
11421 Perkins Road (changed from 18367 Perkins Roa, Baton Rouge, LA
Find maps of Baton Rouge, LA
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS LA-1238
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (N136).
Significance: The Willow Grove Plantation House (c. 1810-1820) is a brick and cypress timber framed raised Creole plantation house that contains rare Federal woodwork. The house is sited on a parcel of land that, with the exception of a minor subdivision, remains virtually unchanged since the original claim of the Spanish land grant by Joseph Sharp. The house was apparently built for Sharp's daughter Amelia as dowry for her new husband, John Kleinpeter, son of Johann George Kleinpeter. The property has remained in the Kleinpeter family ever since. Although the house has undergone significant alterations, the Federal detailing and many Creole characteristics remain intact. The undisturbed rural setting of the plantation house preserves the historic sense of place and contributes to the significance of the property as a cultural landscape.
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
Back to Baton Rouge, Louisiana