Darby House, 102 Main Street, Baldwin, St. Mary Parish, LA
See 14 maps of this location
102 Main Street, Baldwin, LA
Find maps of Baldwin, LA
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS LA-1358
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (N986).
Significance: The Darby Plantation is a classic example of a raised Louisiana cottage of the French Colonial style. It was built around 1815 by Alfred Hennen near the town of Baldwin. It was sold to Agricole Fuselier eight years later. In 1856 it was purchased by Francois Opta Darby and has been known by that family name ever since. The home was purchased in 1867 by John Baldwin, Sr., whose family retained possession until 1938 when it was sold to Mrs. Jessee Frost Johnson. She continued to live on the second floor when she leased it to the bank. She sold the house to St. Mary Barn and Trust Company in 1970, and then it was purchased by Emory Hebert in 2001.
Keeley, Bill, Field Team
Simoneaux, Jason, Field Team
Fullana, Leonardo, Field Team
Al-Mershad, Waleed, Field Team
Bourque, Andre, Field Team
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
Back to Baldwin, Louisiana