Stephanie Plantation, House, 1862 Bushville Highway (State Highway 347), Arnaudville, St. Martin Parish, LA
1862 Bushville Highway (State Highway 347), Arnaudville, LA
Find maps of Arnaudville, LA
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS LA-1289-A
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (N610).
Building/structure dates: 1781 initial construction
Significance: Located 4 miles south of Arnaudville, Louisiana on property originally owned by Martin Milony Duralde, a French Basque native of Aix Les Bains, Bayonne Biscaye, France who arrived in Louisiana in 1769, lies the Stephanie Plantation House. Duralde moved to the property in 1781 and lived in a log cabin on the banks of Bayou Teche until the house was built. He was appointed Commandant of the Opelousas Post in 1795 by Baron de Carondelet, Spanish Governor of Colonial Louisiana. After his death in 1822, the property was sold to a fellow Basque Charles Henri Lastrapes, the wealthiest man in southwest Louisiana at that time, who expanded the holdings to some 50,000 acres. In 1882, in a bankruptcy sale, the property was sold to a New Orleans cotton factor. In 1889 the Huran Planting Co. obtained Stephanie. The house changed hands several times before its recent purchase by the Kidder family in 1997.
Duralde, Martin Milony
Huron Planting Co.
Haley, Casey Lawrence, Delineator
Meliala, Tjiau Dharma Sembiring., Delineator
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
Back to Arnaudville, Louisiana