Kent Plantation House, 3601 Bayou Rapides Road, Alexandria, Rapides Parish, LA
3601 Bayou Rapides Road, Alexandria, LA
Find maps of Alexandria, LA
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS LA-1303
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (N615).
Building/structure dates: 1880 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1964 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1975 subsequent work
Moved in 1964 from original location, approximately 2 miles southeast of current location.
National Register Number: 71000362
Significance: The Kent House is the oldest known standing structure in central Louisiana. Competed in 1800, Kent House was built by Pierre Baillio II. Baillio constructed the house on land he received about 1794 from a land grant of about 500 acres in a bend of the Red River four miles downriver in the village of Alexandria. The land grant was given by the Spanish Governor of Louisiana, Baron de Carondelet. In 1842 Robert C. Hynson purchased the house from Baillio heirs. Hynson had come to Louisiana from Kent County, Maryland and the house was named for that area. In 1964 the house was moved about 2 miles northwest of the original site. Places on the National Register of Historic Places in 1971, Kent House was opened to the public in 1975 after renovation was completed and house fully furnished with museum-quality items. The house is owned by the State of Louisiana and is used as a historic museum.
Galleries & Museums
Hynson, Robert C.
State Of Louisiana
Dunnington, Jeremy, Delineator
Royston, Kevin, Delineator
Selva, Bayardo, Delineator
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
Back to Alexandria, Louisiana